- the difference between hardware and software;
- the role of peripherals, networks and human resources (clients, servers, email servers, DNS servers, routers and firewalls).
- hardware and software;
- client and server;
- peer-to-peer (P2P)
- mail server, DNS server;
- Chapters 2 and 4 of the IGCSE ICT text
- Computer Confluence chapters 0 Basics and 1 Computer Currents and Internet Waves
Watch the video The First Computer and think about the following questions.
a. What is the original meaning of computer?
b. Does anything surprise you about the first computer programmer?
c. Would you invest in a machine that had no clear purpose?
- Which of these is a computer? Why or why not?
a. The Jacquard Loom
b. The Difference Engine
c. The Analytical Engine
- Log in to the IGCSE text and read chapter 1.
- Look at this presentation on Components of a Computer System.
- Collect a scrapbook of images for the items of hardware mentioned in the presentation