The CPU Topic 2.1.1 / Core
- the basic architecture of the central processing unit (CPU);
- the functions of the arithmetic logic unit (ALU);
- the functions of the control unit (CU);
- the functions of the registers (memory address register, MAR, and memory data register, MDR) within the CPU.
- central processing unit (CPU);
- control unit (CU);
- arithmetic and logic unit (ALU);
- memory data register;
- memory address register.
- Chapter 4 of Bradley Kjell's online book Computer Science Using Java
- Computer Confluence chapter 0 Basics
- Computer Confluence chapter 1 Computer Currents and Internet Waves
How is processor speed measured? What does this mean? What is the speed of your computer?
- Work through this presentation on the CPU.
- What is the fastest processor today? What is Moore's Law?
- Extension work: What is meant by bus speed? Why does it matter? What is a typical bus speed for a desktop computer?
- Draw and label a basic diagram of a CPU. [4 marks] (May 2007 SL P1 q9).