Operating Systems & Applications Topic 2.1.4 / Core
- the main functions of a (single-user) operating system;
- simple memory management;
- the use of a range of application software (word processors, spreadsheets, database management systems, email, web browsers, computer- aided design and graphic processing software);
- common features of applications (toolbars, menus, dialogue boxes, graphical user interfaces) which improve usability;
- some features are provided by the application software and some by the operating system.
- applicaation software;
- utility software.
- ICT for GCSE section 3.1 Operating systems;
- Computer Confluence pp. 151 - 155, System Software: the Hardware-Software Connection.
How many different operating systems can you name?
- Study this presentation on Operating Systems.
- State two functions of an operating system, other than to control the user interface. [2 marks] (May 2007 SL P1 q2)
- Compare the OS you use at home with one other - a short table of advantages and disadvantages should do.