Features of Languages Topic 4.3.2 / Core
- the essential features of a computer language.
- fixed vocabulary;
- unambiguous meaning;
- consistent semantics (grammar);
- program vs. programme.
- Computer Science - an overview section 5.4 Language Implementation pp. 237 - 245.
TOK Language and meaning
The problems of semantics [The Two Ronnies, BBC, 1973]
- Presentation on Features of Programming Languages
- Research the Java reserved words, format them all on one side of paper to be printed out as a poster
- Watch this video clip on the history of computer languages.
- Here's an example of an assembly language program. Can you make any sense of it?
- Try this worksheet summarising computer languages.
- Define semantics and syntax and give an example of how they each relate to programming code. [4 marks] (May 2006 SL P1 q1).